Built in 1755 along Knobbs Creek, the Jackson House interprets the lives of the many ambitious Albemarle farmers during the late colonial and early republic years. Though modest by later standards, the house was quite nice for its period, allowing a family to live in a measure of comfort afforded to a very small minority of the region’s population.
It was constructed as a two-room hall-and-parlor-plan. The frame structure has exterior dimensions of approximately 26 feet long, 16 feet wide, and eleven feet tall. Its original half-story sleeping loft was replaced in the late nineteenth century with a full second story that was removed when the building was dismantled in 1992 for storage. The house was erected for Daniel Jackson, Jr. (ca. 1700-1761) and his wife Elizabeth. An estate inventory dated December 23, 1761, provides insight into Daniel’s household and suggests that he may have engaged in a trade, perhaps cobbling or carpentry, in addition to farming. One of their four sons, Bailey Jackson (ca. 1735-1814), a cooper in early records, inherited the property and raised a family of six children here with wife Miriam.